18 Sept 2014

DISCUSSION: My Favourite Female Characters

I think I should start this discussion post but saying that this is list isn't all of my favourite female characters, in fact if I was going to list all of them then we'd be here for an awfully long time. I decided to do this post today because I've been thinking about female characters in YA a lot lately- a lot of them get labelled as being 'strong' just because they're kickass. Strong for me means being not just physically strong but mentally strong too. Some of these characters are physically strong, others aren't but let's get started.

1. Violet Baudelaire from A Series of Unfortunate Events
I've talked about Violet many, many times here but I just really adore her. She's definitely not physically strong, but god is she smart! Violet invents things you see, throughout the series she comes up with these brilliant inventions that save her and her siblings. Violet was one of the first characters I ever seriously loved and I think she was a great role model- I know I always wanted to be just like Violet when I grew up. (Okay, so the inventing thing totally never happened)

2. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series
Of course no list would be complete without Miss Granger. I admit that Hermione isn't my favourite character in the entire series, but I think she's still incredibly amazing. Like Violet, she's incredibly intelligent too but she also has her flaws. (Can you tell I read these two series at the same time?) Also, Emma Watson is just a glorious human being.

3. Liesel Meminger from The Book Thief
If Liesel were a real person, I would totally adopt her as a cute younger sister- I love her that much. I know she's only young in the book but she's so incredibly strong and wise, but she's also a troublemaker. The best thing is, of course, she's a reader!

4. June Iparis from the Legend trilogy
June is one of Chami's favourite characters, and while I'm not as obsessed with her- I still think that June is a wonderful character. Again, she's extremely smart but also extremely badass. I admit, if I was ever going to live in a dystopian world, I'd want June on my side.

5. Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series
If you know me at all, you probably know that Celaena is most definitely my favourite character right now. She takes badass to a whole new level, and while she isn't exactly the nicest person- she's just so interesting to read about and I can't help but love her.

So those were the five characters I wanted to talk about today. Like I said, this is a very abridged list but I thought I'd just start with these! I hope you enjoyed this post and I will see you tomorrow with another new post :)


10 comments:

  1. Ooh, what a fantastic list! I especially love Violet, Hermione and Liesel. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so wonderful :) As are you, for always commenting <3

      x Ely

      Delete
  2. Great post! I actually haven't read about any of these ladies yet, but I do have The Bad Beginning sitting in my to-read pile. Some of my favorite female characters are the protagonists in The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer. Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress do not necessarily believe they are strong to begin with, but discover what they are capable of as the series progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to read The Bad Beginning - it's truly glorious. (And HP, if you haven't read that yet). I've only read Cinder so far, but I loved it- I can't wait to get to Scarlet and Cress!!

      x Ely

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE that about Celaena. She is NOT a nice person but somehow she is wonderful and amazing on oh-so tough and just freaking fabulous. Plus she too is a huge reader. Her and Lisel?! They are WISE. Bookworms will probably rule the world and Celaena will show us the way. *nods* But I equally love Violet Baudelaire. And Sunny! Nothing stopped Sunny! And if it did...she bit it.
    I'm not sure who my favourites are...mmmm....definitely Celaena and Liesel. But I do love Blue from The Raven Boys and Cath from Fangirl a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think that the two of us get a little out of control about Celaena...and cake, but then I remember how amazing those two things are and I feel better. I love love love Blue and Cath too, but if I hadn't have cut the list down to five I could have gone on and on and on. It would have been awfully boring!

      x Ely

      Delete
  4. I agree with you on the fact that "strong" female characters don't always have to be physically strong. I, like you, admire Hermione Granger because she's intelligent and kind, but she can handle her own as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Hermione Granger is a total badass in her own right. How could you not love her for that?

      x Ely

      Delete
  5. Love this post Ely! It's great to see some worthy recipients here, especially Violet - I loved her caring nature towards her siblings and admired her intelligence in the toughest of situations against Count Olaf. Hermione would definitely make one of my favourites too since she stuck by her friends and is a fellow booklover ;) Similar to Liesel who is also a booklover, I loved reading about her in The Book Thief and how she was portrayed in the movie.

    I still need to read the Legend trilogy and Throne of Glass series but I want to even more now! :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eugenia, and thank you so much for commenting lately! Violet was just wonderful, as were Hermione and Liesel- they all hold a very, very special place in my heart :) Yes, you definitely should give Legend and Throne of Glass a go!

      x Ely

      Delete