8 Dec 2014

DISCUSSION: Reading Slumps



There’s one phrase that can make any book lover tremble in fear. Reading slumps.

*shudders*

They are the absolute worst, aren’t they? Today we’re going to discuss them – what they are, how to get out of them and just some general ranting about how much they suck. Without further ado, let’s get started.

In my opinion, a reading slump is a feeling you get out of nowhere. One day, you’ll be zooming through books well on your way to your Goodreads reading challenge goal and then the next day, suddenly you feel as if you’re sinking into quicksand. No matter how many books you try, nothing will keep your attention for long. Then you realised, you’re in the dreaded reading slump.

It’s one of the worst things in the world, especially when you’re already a few books behind on your Goodreads challenge and your TBR pile took over all available space in your room a long time ago. You feel like you’re letting down publishers and authors, and the people who read your blog. But you know what? It’s not your fault. You can’t help getting into a reading slump, and yeah – they’re really, really hard to get out of.

I speak from experience. I can’t count how many reading slumps I’ve been in this year alone. The thing is, I’m a very intense reader. I mentioned in my answers to the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award post (which is going up very soon) that I’m a yoyo blogger. By this I mean that, one day I’ll write five blog posts and then the next I won’t even touch the blog. I’m the exact same with reading – I’m one of two extremes, I either read an entire book that day or I don’t pick one up. It really sucks, but that’s just how my brain works.

Anyway, due to this, I’ve worked out a few ways to work through this annoying slumps which I’m going to offer to you now. I’m not going to pretend like these are unique ideas or anything, but I will explain why I think they work.


1.       Re-read something you loved.
This is simple. What’s going to get you back into reading quicker than revisiting one of your favourite stories? 

2.       Read a children’s book
Now, this might be one of the books you decided to re-read but try giving a children’s/middle grade book a go. There usually short and really fun and easy to get through. 

3.       Join a challenge
Whether you join a read-a-long, a read-a-thon or a challenge, try picking out a few books that you really want to read and giving yourself a date to read them by. Sometimes, you just need a little bit of motivation to get yourself going.

4.       Watch book trailers/movie trailers
If there’s a book on your shelf that has a trailer, whether it be for the book or movie, try watching it. I find that this often makes me want to read the book even more – they usually pick out the interesting parts, and leave out the twist so you have to read to find out. 

5.       Take a break
If nothing else is working and your just getting more and more stressed, give yourself a break. Forget about all those TBR books for now and do something else – go for a walk, or watch a movie or bake a cake. Just do something different!

6.       Just push through
Sometimes, none of these suggestions are going to work and so you just have to push through. If you really aren’t loving a book, you can always put it down but sometimes you just need to give that book another chance.

And there you go! Those are my suggestions on how to push through a reading slump. Let me know whether you use any of these tactics, or if you have any suggestions of your own. Thanks for reading!