17 Jun 2015

Other People's Book Collections

I’m currently staying at my great aunts house in a very small town in Cornwall, England. As you can probably imagine, there’s not a lot to do here. Luckily, I’m staying in my lovely cousin Naomi’s (who you’ll probably hear mentioned frequently from now on) childhood room. Naomi, like my great aunt, my mum and me, is a big reader.

Her room is kind of my heaven.


There are books everywhere. I honestly feel like I’ve just stayed in my own bedroom, only with different books. I’ve never stayed anywhere before that had books, other than Michelle’s. It’s a weird sort of feeling, and I won’t deny that a massive smile spread across my face when I saw all the books.


The best thing is, the majority of Naomi’s books are ones I haven’t read yet. They’re mostly classics, or they’re more diverse that the ones I own and I love that. I finally get the chance to read all these books I’ve wanted to for ages but haven’t because they were too expensive to buy back home or they weren’t available.


I’m going to try and read as many of them as is humanly possible. Naturally, there are a few higher up on my lists than others. I’ve read Stardust by Neil Gaiman already, which for some reason is always roughly $27 in Australian bookstores. I spied some Angela Carter who I studied last semester and really want to read more of. I mean, she has books on writing novels, Charles Dickens and learning to speak Welsh. I’ve got the time of my life in front of me.

Anyway, the main point of this post was to basically fangirl over the fact that I am so incredibly lucky to have a family of readers, even if it meant coming all the way out to Cornwall for them.


I wanted to know if any of you have ever been in a similar situation. That is, finding yourself with this whole new collection of books to explore at your leisure. Let me know in the comments.